Single Under the Mistletoe: How to Survive the Holidays
Is this your season to be single? During the holiday season, the single crowds feel a bit left out of the holiday festivities. Everything seems to revolve around “couples”. Society makes it seem as though things are merry and bright as long as you are in a relationship. That is not true! Being single during the holidays can be just as magical as being in a relationship.
Here are a few tips to make your holiday magical.
- Reconnect with friends. Connecting with someone whether it be in person, phone or email helps to remove the feeling of being alone.
- Do not let Santa forget your house this year! Play Santa for yourself Pick out a fabulous Christmas gift just for you. Wrap it up and attach a note from Santa. Do not open it until Christmas day.
- Hang your Christmas lights! I enjoy putting up Christmas lights inside the house. The presence of Christmas lights help to remove the fear of “being in the dark”, in other words, being alone. It also symbolizes that you are living in God’s light.
- Write a letter to Santa! Write down the things you want in life whether it be material items, relationships or a promotion! Then take that list and create a vision board. Have pictures with descriptions of things you want for the upcoming New Year.
- Tis the season to be grateful! Write down a list of things you are grateful for. Also mention how grateful you are for having the opportunity to celebrate yet another fabulous Christmas.
- Sing Christmas carols! Did you know there are major health benefits to singing? Studies have shown that singing lowers your heart rate, decreases blood pressure, and reduces stress. Fa la la la la la la la la!
- Pay it forward. Christmas is love in action and is about giving love to others. Express your love to others by helping someone in need. Volunteer at the local soup kitchen or visit residents at a nursing home. The rewards come back to you tenfold.
- Send love by sending out Christmas cards. You have the power to brighten someone’s day by sending them a card with love.
- Celebrate you! Plan your own Christmas celebration! Rent a cheerful Christmas movie and prepare your favorite dish.
One thing to keep in mind is that you are never alone. Whether close by or many miles away, there are people out there that are thinking of you. I am one of them. Thinking of you and sending you love and light this holiday season. And may all your Christmases be bright.
Dating & Relationship Coach